Wednesday, September 25, 2013

comfort food: bleubird's carrot soup

I have had my heart set on this carrot soup recipe from James @ bleubird for days now. Though I've been resisting it, Fall is now officially here and with it the rain and gloomy days of western Washington, so I've decided to finally (and fully) embrace it. Combine that with the fact that I am at my family's home in a small town for almost a month and having to get creative with ways to fill my day, and you'll understand why I spent most of yesterday afternoon making this gorgeous soup with an apple pie to wash it down with. 

This is a good, earthy soup, and yesterday it was comfort food in more ways than one. My family is in a hard and confusing place right now, and gathering together over warm, rich food is delicious therapy. What also makes this soup special is that those funky, awkwardly shaped carrots came from a friend with an over-flowing garden, as did the honey crisp apples I made the pie with. I also cut parsley, thyme, and celery leaf from my mama's garden for the soup. Good friends, bearing gifts that are labors of love, have been lighthouses on the shore & fireflies in the dark for my family this summer, and make cooking for them even more special. How special good friends are. 

find the recipe here! serve hot with some hot, fresh bread to dip. 

4 comments:

  1. Absolutely delicious! I'm going to have to try it out. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmm this looks delicious.
    perfect for a fall evening.

    K

    ReplyDelete
  3. this looks delicious! and t love it when people grow their own veg :)

    www.article21.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmm this carrot soup looks so good. We just started making soups this weekend since it's kind of cooled down a little. I'm looking forward to making all sorts of tasty soups. I'll have to try this one!

    ReplyDelete

what's good?