Tuesday, September 17, 2013

eat this: roasted beet spinach salad + curried cauliflower

There are things very special in life, things hard to come across...a leather jacket tailored just right, red lipstick perfectly suited to your coloring, a recipe for scones that stay moist for days, and loyal, loving, truth-speakin' girlfriends. Ladies that are by your side, that ask how you are and really, really care what your answer is. Friendships that don't change based on how busy you both are, or how much fun you're able to be at a point in your life. These friendships are absolute blessings, anchors through the storm, and all that cliche stuff that is just really true so you don't care that they're cliches. 

Anyway. I have to talk about these friendships because this simple, glorious meal was inadvertently inspired by two friends who have been anchors for me in the mess of the last year or so. A few months ago I  joined my friend Willow's family for dinner (unexpectedly, I might add, after a nail-painting, froyo-eating date with her mini-me daughter) and she had thrown together the most delicious salad filled with roasted beets and big chunks of cucumber and other earthy, yummy veggies. Willow is the type that can throw together the most amazing dishes in about a minute, can make her house feel like home to anyone in the same amount of time. She opens her dinner table to you as well as her heart, her wisdom, her mind.  Now, months later, I found myself craving this exact salad and attempted to recreate it.  
When looking for a something-something to have on the side of the salad, I remembered the huge head of cauliflower I had sitting in my fridge, when instantly pulled me to a night months earlier where I'd sat on my beautiful friend Dory's couch, catching up on love and life and all those silly things in between. Dory has several food allergies, including gluten, so I brought things I knew she could have, namely, red wine and fruit with chocolate fondue (how romantic). She had made curry roasted cauliflower to share and I about died with the simple, strong taste. In a busy time in both our lives, a few hours to catch up and share easy, rich food & wine together was a breath of fresh air and a time to recharge, ready myself to take on the world again the next day. Also, that cauliflower was damn good.

Okay, so this post has gotten a bit lady-mushy, but don't let that distract you from how good these easy recipes are. Serve with red wine or your favorite Autumn beer and your tummy & soul will thank you.

Curried Cauliflower:

cauliflower
curry seasoning
s&p
olive oil

chop cauliflower, place in large bowl and drizzle with enough olive oil to coat evenly. toss with curry seasoning, again making sure to coat each piece--the more the better, in my opinion! throw a little bit of salt & pepper on, then spread on a foil-lined baking sheet in a single layer. cook for 15 minutes at 375. et voila!

Roasted Beet Spinach Salad:

spinach
roasted beets, quartered, buttered, & salted
fresh mozzarella medallions
cucumber slices, cut thick + quartered
1 ripe avocado
1 tomato, diced
balsamic vinaigrette dressing (I use TJ's)

this is a salad, so the next part is fairly self-explanatory: toss veggies together, dress with the balsamic, enjoy. things that could be delish to add: flank steak, bacon, strawberries, crusty french bread.  

1 comment:

  1. I really want to make both of these. curried cauliflower sounds delicious.

    www.impeccablykaili.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

what's good?