Monday, January 12, 2015

my favorite cookbook: potato cinnamon rolls


This year, I've decided to begin the process of curating a cookbook of my very favorite recipes. Most of these will come from the minds of my mom and sister, as they both have a knack for opening their refrigerator and casually tossing together a dish as stunning as it is mouth-watering. It will include my dad's famous chili, my own chocolate chip cookies, and a few other favorites from friends and family. And then, of course, some classics. 

A few months ago I had the inspiration to make cinnamon rolls from scratch. I'd never attempted homemade bread before, and I slightly underestimated the time & effort it took, but I fell in love with the process. It takes patience, and time, and attention to detail. You have an hour here, 15 minutes there, where you simply have to wait for the yeast and flour to rise and double in size (suitable activities for the interim include pouring a glass of wine, watching two episodes of the office, taking a neighborhood walk, or attempting to scrub the dough and flour from your entire kitchen). When your project is finally finished, your house smells like your favorite bakery and it is just so rewarding to take your first bite. 

So yesterday, with a whole Sunday evening and a new audience to win over, I made these Potato Cinnamon Rolls from Better Homes & Gardens again, a recipe recommended by my mom. They are so damn good. And we are so obviously not engaging in any start of the year cleanses, even though we definitely should be. These are going in my favorite cookbook under breakfast, desserts, comfort food, and also things to eat on Sunday evenings. 

Find the recipe and tips here

No comments:

Post a Comment

what's good?